I’ve been running WattDoesItUse since 2015 and it has been awesome to see the growth of the site. I’m routinely contacted by users of the site where they talk about how much it has helped them find power consumption for their devices. I’m working to take WattDoesItUse to the next level by redesigning it and adding new functionality with my team. Through this redesign, there will be some lost features. They won’t be gone forever, but I want to hear from users that they are valuable and worth being added back in.
Here are the updates that you’ll see on the new site:
- Improved and simplified search experience – This will make it easier to find products on the site
- Consolidated categories – I flattened some of the navigation to make it easier to navigate
- Administrative updates – I’ve added new functionality to make it easier for me to add more products and to reply to your requests
- Updated UI – Clean implementation which should make it even easier to look at on different devices
- New blog – I’m now running the blog on wordpress.com to simplify management of it. It will also make it easier for me to add more posts in the future.
- Removal of User Accounts – I wanted to call this out specifically as I know a lot of your have user accounts. I’m going to be working on an app for iPhone and maybe Android, that will give you access to the calculator that is currently in the user account. I also plan to add more functionality that will make it easier to find and request power consumption for products.
I plan to shutdown the old site on June 15, 2018. All of the products will be migrated over and I plan to add more products on the new site, so no information will be lost. Stay tuned for the new and improved update by the end of 2019. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.